I’ll never forget when a high-level ministry person introduced me: “This is Sherrie. She’s really different…but she may grow on you.”
And, how did I react?
Like a victim….I smiled and didn’t say a thing. Just kept it tucked in my heart for decades.
Let’s talk about the word “different,” fellow adoptees and foster kids.
What comes to mind immediately?
- I stand out like neon in a crowd.
- I am totally weird and everyone knows it.
- I am not like the rest of humanity.
- I don’t fit in my family.
- I am labeled because I am an adoptee or foster kid.
- I feel like a square peg in a round hole.
- It feels like i just got pushed under the bus.
So, friends, WHY do you, why do I, sink into a victim’s mindset? Why do we smile and take it?
Why instead, don’t we step back and say in a loud voice, “SAY WHAT?”
I’m going to do that next time someone shoves me under the bus.
How about you?
Call me if I need to come over with my boxing gloves on, okay?
I love you!
PS–See the accompanying video at http://www./SherrieEldridge/youtube.com